By: Yanelis Colón, Intern
Did you know that a portion of rice provides B-complex vitamins, which are necessary for the proper functioning of our body? Rice is one of the most used ingredients in every Puerto Rican household. This is, after corn, the most cultivated cereal in the world. Considered in many cultures as one of principal food, it’s an ingredient in which you can prepare a multitude of dishes, many of them with great tradition in the cuisines of various countries, as an example, the traditional Spanish paella or the Italian risotto.
There are different types of rice that we can usually find in the supermarket. Today we recommend Jasmine Rice, also known as Thai Rice, originated from Thailand and representative of its cuisine. Jasmine Rice is aromatic, with a light texture and a smooth flavor. It is a type of long-grain rice and can be prepared like any other white rice. According to experts, this is a rich source of niacin (which helps us in the processes of obtaining energy), thiamine (important for the growth, development, and functioning of cells in our body), iron, selenium, and vitamins B1 and D. You can use it to prepare rice with beans, with a stew or even as a companion or main dish.
If you’re looking for unique jasmine rice recipes, give this a try!
Easy Jasmine Rice Recipe (We include Salmon)
11⁄2 cups jasmine rice
2 salmon filets
2 cups broccoli (chopped) 1 tablespoon onion powder Salt and pepper, to taste
1⁄4 cup guava paste 1⁄3 orange juice
1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the rice according to directions.
- While the rice is cooking, season salmon with onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Place salmon, skin side down, on a non-stick baking sheet. (Add broccoli)
- Bake until salmon is cooked, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce, For the sauce: In a saucepan, add guava paste, orange juiceand ginger. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally until soft and uniform. Letcool and refrigerate until you’re ready to use it.
- Serve the salmon over the rice, drizzle with guava sauce, and enjoy!